Sunday, September 12, 2010

Since I got back I had not done much but did look into my relationship with Ernest some more and try to verify where Jacob Jr. lived when he got released from the indian captivity. He settled around Hardy county Va., which became West Va. during the civil war. Two of Jacobs sons were Daniel L. and Christopher Stufle, Daniel moved to Ohio and is in my line and Christopher stayed there and is in Ernests line.
When I was in Virginia and talked to a few people in Virginia and most of the time they said they were not related to the Halterman's in West Virginia, which I found hard to believe. I think that almost everyone with the name Halterman in this country are probably related if you back far enough. One explanation for split between the Virginia and West Virginia Haltermans could be the civil war. West Virginia was part of Virginia until 1863 when it was brought into the Union. Ernest told me that his great grandfather and three of his brothers were Confederate solders and Hardy county had alot of Confederate support and what became Grant county had alot of Union support. He said his great grandfather and two of his brothers moved to Missouri after the war and he thought that it may have been because of the animosity they felt. His great grandfather returned back to Va after a couple years.
It is interesting to here why people moved from one area of the country to another. With the large families, the family farms could only be devided so many times. My doctor told me that is why he became a doctor. His father was a farmer and he had 3 brothers and he knew he could not make a living off a smaller amount of land.

No comments:

Post a Comment