Saturday, July 24, 2010





It is Hot here, 98 with high humidity. I feel sorry for the people that are camping out in tents or do not have any air. I got here before 1:00 and set up and went to Shenandoah which is less than 30 miles away. I just drove around and looked for awhile and saw the police station and thought maybe he knows Halterman's from town and not locked up. He had been there 10 years but did not know of any and did not know anything of Haltermans being killed by indians in 1758. He did tear out a page of his phone book with about 30 Halterman's in it. I called about 8 but only talked to one and left a message on a couple others and the rest said disconnected. Not sure why because if they were different area codes it seem like the phone book would have it. The guy I talked to had the road in front of his place named after him but he was on his way to the beach for a few days. The reason I haven't called anymore is where I am camped has no cell signal at all. I am doing this at the visitors center where they have wifi. This phone book did not have anybody in West Virginia so I guess I will head over there tomorrow. Hopefully it will be cooler and I can find a park with a signal. The guy I talked to did not know any family history but he was going to ask his brother when he got back. He had never heard of any killings either and did not think that the Halterman's in West Va were related to him. I bet they are if you go back far enough because as far as I know Jacob Jr. who was captured by the indians must have came back to Shenandoah. I have also noticed that Christian's wife also died in 1758 and wonder if she was also killed in the attack. The information that I have on Jacob Sr. wife died in Aug of 1758 in the attack and it said Hawksbill, Shenandoah, Va. I could not find a Hawksbill, Va but did find a Hawksbill diner which was about 15 mi north of Shenandoah and I thought maybe this area was named Hawksbill and was changed to Stanley. I asked the owners but they knew nothing. Better go to my black hole of no signal.

No comments:

Post a Comment