Sunday, July 25, 2010




I am sitting at a table in a park in Front Royal, Va because when I got back to where I am camped they told me that the electricity was out, so no wifi. I drove about 10 miles to this town that has a good cell signal and I set up here, hopfully it doesn't start raining.
I talked to another Halterman last night and she insisted that the Haltermans on this side of the mountain were not related to me and that those Haltermans were in Mathias, WV which is a little over an hour from here. I got there before 10:00 and got the phone book from a convenience/gas station store and started copying the names of Halterman, which was 22. As I was copying the lady said I needed to talk to Earnest Halterman because he lived here all his life and he was the principal of the school before he retired. He was also the pastor of her church(Church of the Brethren) at one time and he had done genealogy on the family. There was no cell phone signal for about 30 miles and this was in the middle of dead zone. I did use a payphone which was in the sun and I did call and leave a message, then I asked her where he lived and she told me but their was a big remote controlled gate and it was closed. I drove south to Broadway that did have reception and later he was home and I went back to his place and spent 2 hrs which him and we talked about most everything but he did not know much more about the families that were killed by the Indians. We are sure that we are related but not sure how far back. He may come from the other surviving brother from being held captive.
While I was in Broadway waiting for him to come home I went to the guys place I talked to yesteday and took a picture of Halterman Rd. When I was in Mathias I took a picture of Halterman Hollow. Earnest said that all the Halterman in that area can trace their origins to someone on that road. I guess there is only one there now.
I do not think I could find anymore on where the killed families are buried if Earnest did not know. He said I could go to three county court houses and maybe find out but I do not have that much time. I am going to try to get my oil changed in the morning and have the van checked out and leave after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment